Oakland Bus Stops Restored; Detours Discontinued
As of Sunday morning, June 16, AC Transit’s bus stops at 14th Street and Broadway in Oakland are being returned to service as the initial phase of the city’s downtown improvement project nears completion. Northbound bus stops on Broadway between 12th and 15th Streets are being reactivated as follows:
- At 12th Street and Broadway, Lines 11, 12, 51 and 51M, 58 and 88 will serve the bus stop.
- At 13th Street and Broadway, Line 51 and 51M (the College Avenue bus route to Berkeley) will serve the northbound stop.
- Mid-block between 13th and 14th, Line 88 (the route to Berkeley via Market Street) will serve a new stop in front of De Lauer’s News Stand.
- At 14th Street in front of the Walgreens Drug Store, Lines 40, 40L and 43 (the Shattuck and Telegraph Avenue bus routes) will stop.
- At 14th Street next to Rite Aid, Lines 72, 72L and 73 (serving San Pablo Avenue) will serve the restored bus stop. These bus lines will continue northbound on Broadway, instead of Telegraph Avenue, to 20th Street and San Pablo Avenue.
- Mid-block between 14th and 15th Streets, Lines 11, 12 and 58 will serve a new bus stop.
This weekend, all AC Transit bus service southbound through city center on Broadway remains unchanged – except for Lines 72, 72L and 73, which is being rerouted to operate on Broadway (rather than Telegraph Avenue) between 20th Street and their downtown terminals.
The culmination of four years of preparation, Oakland’s downtown improvement project is upgrading passenger amenities and adding transit information displays at some of the system’s busiest bus stops. On weekdays, more than 11,000 passengers board and alight from AC Transit buses in Oakland’s City Center. When completed, the city’s improvement project will also provide wider sidewalks, new street furniture, and public art displays on Broadway.