Become an AC Transit Mechanic
What our Mechanics Do
- Diagnose, examine, and investigate vehicles to determine causes of defective operation of engines, transmissions, differential units, generators, starters, pumps, air suspension systems, pneumatic systems, passenger lift assemblies, radiators, injectors, clutches, air conditioning systems, and other vehicle components.
- Determine proper course of action to facilitate vehicle repair, maintenance, adjustment, and component replacement.
- Maintain, adjust, and/or repair all bus systems, components, and parts including hydraulic and electrical systems, brakes, front ends, and air conditioning systems to ensure the operational fitness of coaches.
- Perform major overhauls, major tune-ups, and repair to brakes and steering systems.
- Perform preventative maintenance and repair of all brands of passenger lifts on coaches.
- Change windows and seats and performs minor body repair.
- Operate buses to diagnose component failure, make roadside repairs, or move disabled buses.
- Operate forklifts, overhead cranes, hydraulic lifts, hoists and jacks, brake lathes, and tugs used for pulling disabled buses.
- Document all work performed including record of repairs on driver’s defect cards; submit daily lift status reports to supervisor and dispatch; record all repairs logs; and prepare and submit weekly reports to supervisor.
Why Work for AC Transit?
- Cutting Edge Technology in Zero Emissions Vehicles
- Hydrogen Fuel Cell/Electric Hybrid Systems
- Diesel/Electric Hybrid Technology
- Clean Air Diesel Technology
- All repairs completed on site including Engine and Transmission overhauls
Hiring Bonuses for Journey Level Mechanics (JLM)
JLMs hired after 10/1/22 are eligible to receive up to $2,000 within the first 6 months of employment as follows:
- $500 upon hire date at the District.
- $500 upon completion of 3 months of employment.
- $1000 upon completion of 6 months of employment.
Effective October 2022, Journey Level Mechanics who meet the criteria listed below will be eligible for the three-step hiring bonus. Each payment is separate, and it is not guaranteed. Eligibility criteria is below, however, the District reserves the right to not payout due to financial or disciplinary reasons. Additional requirements regarding payout and eligibility may apply. JLM Incentive ends on 09/30/2023 unless extended.
No Diesel Experience? No problem!
- A multi-week training program is provided on diesel and large vehicles
- Ongoing classes and training opportunities are provided by the District
We Offer Great Benefits!
- Employee monthly contribution for medical, dental, and vision is a flat rate of $120 with unlimited number of qualified dependents
- Up to 6 weeks of vacation depending on length of service
- Pension Plan – Vested after 5-years
- Sick leave
- 11 Holidays per year
- 457(b) Savings Plan
- Tuition Reimbursement program
- Long-term Disability
- Group Life Insurance
- Free transportation on the AC Transit system