Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA): Reasonable Accommodation/Modification
AC Transit is fully compliant with the requirements of the ADA. The Reasonable Accommodation/Modification regulation (Section 49 CFR Parts 27 and 37: Transportation for Individuals with Disabilities; Reasonable Modification) provides that transportation entities make reasonable accommodations/modifications to policies, practices, and procedures to ensure that services and programs are accessible to everyone including individuals with disabilities.
You may make your request for Reasonable Accommodation/Modification:
- In writing
- By phone: 510-891-4777, AC Transit’s Customer Relations Department
For more information about Section 49 CFR Parts 27 and 37: Transportation for Individuals with Disabilities; Reasonable Modification, read the full text on the Federal Register.
Reasonable Accommodation/Modification and ADA Violation Complaint Process
AC Transit is committed to ensuring that the District complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), including Section 49 CFR Parts 27 and 37. Transportation entities are required to make reasonable accommodations/modifications to policies, practices, and procedures to avoid discrimination and ensure that programs are accessible to individuals with disabilities.
Any person who wishes to file a complaint regarding a request for Reasonable Accommodation/Modification or alleging any action by AC Transit prohibited by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) regulations may file a complaint.
Complaints should be filed using the form below, or mailed or e-mailed to:
Senior Program Specialist
1600 Franklin Street, 7th Floor
Oakland, CA 94612
- To file a complaint, the complaint Form below should be completed and submitted.
- If the complainant is unable to write because of a disability and needs assistance in completing the form, AC Transit staff will assist by scribing the complaint by phone. Please call the Senior Program Specialist at (510) 891-7261 or dial 711 for the California Relay Service.
- AC Transit will begin an investigation within fifteen (15) working days of receipt of a written complaint.
- AC Transit will contact the complainant in writing no later than thirty (30) working days after receipt of complaint for additional information, if needed. If the complainant fails to provide the requested information in a timely basis, AC Transit shall administratively close the complaint.
- AC Transit will complete the investigation within ninety (90) days of receipt of the complaint. If additional time for investigation is needed, the complainant will be contacted.
- A written response will be prepared by the Senior Program Specialist, which will include a summary of the findings and recommended action. The complainant will have fifteen (15) working days from receipt of the response to appeal. If no appeal is received, the complaint will be closed.