Bikes on Buses
Bikes on Board
All AC Transit buses are equipped with bike racks at the front of the bus. To load your bike:
- Remove locks and bags.
- Make sure the driver sees you before stepping in front of the bus.
- Driver cannot provide assistance in loading.
- Squeeze and pull up on the rack handle to release it. Lower the rack until it clicks into place.
- Use the inside slot first. Two bikes will face in opposite directions.
- Lift your bike onto the rack, fitting the wheels into their respective slots.
- Pull out and raise the support arm over the top of the front tire as high up as possible.
- Do not lock your bike to the rack.
In addition, the MCI buses (the big, green commuter coaches) have cargo bays in which bikes can be loaded. Do not open these bay doors. Instead, alert the driver who will open the cargo bays for you.
Keep in mind:
- AC Transit is not responsible for loss or damage to bikes.
- Bicycles are allowed inside buses between midnight and 5:30 a.m. weekdays and between midnight and 9 a.m. weekends and holidays, if the rack is full and there is room inside. Exception: Bicycles are never allowed inside MCIs (the big, green commuter coaches).
- AC Transit Lost & Found: (510) 891-4777
Watch the "Loading Your Bicycle" video below see bike loading in action. For detailed loading instructions, see our brochure.
Loading Your Bicycle
Keep in Mind
- You may only load and unload bicycles at AC Transit bus stops.
- Space on the rack and in the MCI cargo bay is available on a first-come, first-served basis. If the space is full, please wait for the next bus.
- From 5:30 a.m. to midnight, all bicycles must be placed on the rack – bicycles are not permitted inside the bus. From midnight to 5:30 a.m., you may carry your bike inside the bus only if the rack is full and space is available.
- Bike racks can accommodate two-wheeled bicycles (no tandems) with a wheelbase of up to 44 inches and a wheel size of at least 16 inches.
- You must load and unload your own bike. The bus driver cannot provide assistance.
- AC Transit is not responsible for loss of or damage to bicycles carried on buses.
- If you accidentally leave your bike on the bus, you can report it at actransit.org/feedback or (510) 891-4706 at any time. AC Transit Lost & Found staff will notify you the next business day if your bicycle is recovered. All unclaimed items are retained by AC Transit for 90 days.
Sharing the Road
Communication and good will are key to buses and bicycles sharing the road. Bus drivers are required to signal when pulling to the curb at a bus stop. Listen for the signal sound of an overtaking bus, then signal and pass the bus on the left when clear. Never endanger bus passengers or yourself by passing between the bus and the curb!