All AC Transit buses are equipped with the following accessibility features:
- Passenger ramps or lifts for wheelchair/mobility device users or anyone who has trouble climbing steps (passengers with strollers or carts may also request the use of lifts or ramps).
- “Kneeling”, which lowers the bus several inches to make boarding easier.
- Priority seating near the front of buses for persons with disabilities and seniors are marked with signs above or near the seats.
- Two wheelchair securement areas are provided on each bus.
- The “Wheelchair Marking and Tether Strap Program” is available for identifying/providing proper securement points on wheelchairs. Call (510) 891-7113 to schedule an appointment.
- Stop announcements at major intersections and transfer points, provided either verbally by drivers, or by automated equipment.
- The Onboard Announcement System provides “next stop” audio announcements at major intersections and transfer points, which are augmented by internal text-message signs. Sight and hearing impaired passengers on buses equipped with this system can rely on the onboard information to help them find a stop or destination.
- “New Rider Color-Coded Flash Cards” are available, which can be displayed to communicate a need for the lift/ramp, kneeler, and/or “wait until I am seated” to the Bus Operator. Contact Customer Service at (510) 891-4777 to request a kit.
- See “Riding the Bus is Easy” for more information.