- BASIC ELIGIBILITY: If you are eligible under one of the "Basic" categories noted below, you may apply under that category. "Basic" eligibility does not require medical certification. To qualify for Basic Eligibility, bring original documents of one of the following with your application: Complete the Basic Eligibility Form if you meet one or more of the following criteria:
- You have Medicare Card;
- You have a valid DMV placard;
- You are a qualifying Disabled US Veteran;
- You have a current disabled cardholder from another transit agency.
- MEDICAL ELIGIBILITY: To qualify under "Medical Eligibility," you must be certified by one of the State of California licensed professionals described below:
- Licensed physicians with an M.D. or D.O. degree, licensed physician's assistants and nurse practitioners may certify in all categories in which they are licensed to diagnose
- Licensed chiropractors, categories 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Licensed podiatrists, disabilities involving the feet under categories 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Licensed optometrists (OPT), category 9
- Licensed audiologists (AU), category 10
- Licensed clinical psychologists (PSY) and licensed educational psychologists (LEP), categories 15, 16 and 17
- Licensed Marriage and Family Counselors (MFT), and Licensed Clinical Social Workers (LCSW), category 17
Complete the appropriate sections of the Medical Certification form. Sign the application in two places: 1) to authorize your doctor to release information, and 2) to indicate your acceptance of RTC Program terms. If your application is not signed in both places, it cannot be processed and will be returned to you.
Bring the Medical Certification form to your "Certifying Professional." The Certifying Professional must complete the form and mail the green copy to the Discount ID Card Program Office at the address shown on the form. Your application will be considered incomplete unless the certifying professional has returned the form.
Keep the other copies and bring them with you when you have your photo taken. It is recommended that you have the form completed before submitting your application. If your doctor has not completed his/her portion of the form, the process could take more than 21 days.
Photocopies of the medical application are not accepted under any circumstances. To obtain a Medical Certification Form, contact AC Transit Customer Service at (510) 891-4706 (TDD 510-428-2266) or email CustSvc@actransit.org to have the form mailed to you.