Assembly Bill 1107 (AB1107): The State Legislature passed Assembly Bill 1107 in 1977, which provides for a 0.5% sales tax for transit purposes in Alameda County, Contra Costa County and the City and County of San Francisco. Of this tax, 75% of the proceeds are allocated to BART and the remaining 25% is administered by the MTC and is split equally between AC Transit and the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency.
Alameda County Measure B and Measure BB: Measure B was approved in 1986 and reauthorized in 2000 and authorizes a 0.5% sales tax throughout Alameda County for transportation purposes. The tax revenues fund a balance of mass transit and road improvements and operation. The priorities of the measure are to expand mass transit, improve highway infrastructure, improve local streets and roads, improve bike and pedestrian safety, and to expand special transportation for seniors and people with disabilities. Measure BB was approved by the voters in November 2014. Measure BB is a 0.5% sales tax on top of the existing Measure B, and extends the sales taxes until 2045.
Contra Costa County Measure C and Measure J: Contra Costa voters approved measure J in November 2004 as a 25-year extension of the county wide 0.5% retail sales tax. Measure J became effective in April 2009 upon the expiration of the prior Measure C and continues through March 2034.
Property Taxes – General Property Tax in Alameda County and Contra Costa County: Taxes are levied by Alameda and Contra Costa Counties each Fiscal Year as of the preceding January 1 on taxable real and personal property situated within the District. AC Transit receives a portion of property tax receipts.
Parcel Taxes – Measure VV: In November 2008, the voters within Special Transit Service District 1 approved Measure VV, which superseded the Measure BB parcel tax. Measure VV increased the amount of the parcel tax to $96 per year. The tax became effective on July 1, 2009 and terminates on June 30, 2019. Special Transit Service District 1 covers the majority of AC Transit’s service area extends from San Pablo Bay to Hayward, including the cities of Richmond, San Pablo, El Cerrito, Albany, Berkeley, Emeryville, Oakland, Piedmont, Alameda, San Leandro, Hayward, and the unincorporated areas of Ashland, Castro Valley, Cherryland, El Sobrante, Kensington, and San Lorenzo. Measure C1 was approved on November 2016 and extends the annual parcel tax for 20 years beginning July 2019.
Measure 2 (RM2): Approved by voters in March 2004, RM2 allocates
additional bridge toll revenues for various transportation projects and
operations within the region that have been determined to reduce congestion or
to make improvements to travel in the toll bridge corridors.
Regional Measure 3 (RM3): To help solve the Bay Area’s growing congestion problems, MTC worked with the state Legislature to authorize a ballot measure that would finance a comprehensive suite of highway and transit improvements through an increase tolls on the region’s seven state-owned toll bridges. Senate Bill 595 (authored by Sen. Jim Beall of San Jose) was passed by the Legislature and signed into law in fall 2017.