Supplementary School Service FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions: Supplementary School Service
How do I get updates about Supplementary School Service?
For the latest updates on bus service, please:
- Sign up for line-specific eNews here for timely notification about changes that could impact you and your student(s)
- Follow AC Transit on social media for live service updates
- Check the AC Transit website frequently for planned service updates
Did you implement operational changes during the pandemic?
AC Transit has continued to offer trusted bus service throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. This is possible, in part, by the implementation of an array of safety precautions, which include free onboard face masks and hand sanitizer dispensers, anti-viral cleaning and sanitization of buses, and the installation of advanced air filters across our entire bus fleet.
While our service is deemed essential transit, AC Transit is doing its part to ensure that everyone is practicing social distancing to stem-the-tide of COVID-19 transmission, including limiting the number of riders on each bus. This is enacted under the existing guidelines of federal and state public health agencies.
As a result, AC Transit directly appeals to our riders, including school communities, to partner with us in maintaining capacity limits of 10 riders on our 40-foot standard buses and 16 riders on our 60-foot buses.
What happens when a bus is at capacity?
Riders can check crowding information via the rider capacity feature. When the onboard count reaches these thresholds, the operator will change the external head-sign to “Drop-Off Only,” alerting awaiting riders that the bus will likely bypass the stop. The operator will continue to recognize requests, by onboard riders, to exit.
What are my options if the bus did not stop?
Due to the conditions created by the pandemic, we are currently operating at full operational capacity. As a result, we are not able to provide additional buses when passenger limits are reached. If your stop is bypassed due to the new rider limits, please consider the following options:
- Check crowding information and next bus arrival on AC Transit’s Rider Capacity feature.
- Use the Supplementary School Service page for a list of local lines that serve the immediate area of your child’s school location, then plan your trip here. Please note that capacity limits apply to all lines. Please plan accordingly.
Where can I find specific information about local lines, schedules and maps?
Please use the following resources for travel planning, maps and schedules:
- Plan your trip using your location via ACT RealTime or Trip Planner
- Use the AC Transit Official App
- Check maps and schedules. In addition, all lines have printable timetables available online.
- Timetables can be requested at the AC Transit Customer Service Center at 1600 Franklin Street in downtown Oakland. For specific questions, call Customer Service at 510-891-4777 or use the online form.